Wednesday, November 5, 2008

My Patriotic Mom

My Mom has been working the election boards for the last 60 years!! Last night she came in and told me "this is it, I am NEVER doing this again" Katie laughed and said "Grandma you say that every year!!" She started working on an election board when she was 21 and she will be 81 next week. She will probably not be a rover again, the driving was hard, but she isn't ready to give up on the elections.
She came last night to eat her dinner here at our house, and found that Katie had not voted yet. It was pretty cold for us (CA cold) so Katie had put on sweats and was ready to settle in for the the evening. One look from Grandma and she got her purse and keys and said " I hope they don't care what I am wearing!!" and out the door she went.
Colleen and I had lunch with her and I was going to take her picture and I forgot, I am so mad because she has all these pins she wears that she has gathered over the years, she ALWAYS wears red white and blue when she works the elections and she never understands how come they make it so hard to vote. Every year she talks about how they just make it harder than it should be. All the election officials in Placer County know her and I have very clear memories of going to visit her at where ever she was stationed to work on a board when I was younger. It was never very far from our house and her and Norma would be there working together. Yes, Norma still works on an election board close by.
Per Mom the biggest change from the beginning to now is that there are many more men that work on the boards than there used to be. Even 20 years ago most of the boards around town were mostly women with very few men sprinkled in. My Dad worked on some boards after he retired but always said that Mom was the election board person in our family.
Katie worked on an election board with my when she turned 18. The people voting called the main Placer County election officials to complain that a 12 year old child was being used on a board. It was Grandma to the rescue, she called and told them it was her very young looking Granddaughter and she was plenty old enough to be there. We ended up having to explain all day and night long about Katie being old enough.

1 comment:

susette said...

What a dedicated mother. I am so impressed. Katie will be so glad when she hits the 40's that she is so young looking. My biggest fear is getting old and wrinkly. Oh well, such is life and I will have to accept it. The gray hairs are filling in faster now. Time to get the the salon :)